Monday, April 27, 2009

It's my party and I'll... keep listening to my iPod if I want to.

Dot .Net Dilemmas

Why do offices (usually HR) insist on having employee birthday celebrations? Ok, I'll admit, I am a bit of a strange one when it comes to forced celebrations (hey, it's your birthday, you HAVE to be happy today... Did you hear me? BE HAPPY!!!!!). However, I can think of few things worse than looking up from my work and having to take my headphones off as the whole office stand around my desk, arms folded with a look on their face that falls somewhere between boredom and pure pain just to wish me a happy birthday.

It's happened in almost every company I've worked in and there is just no need for it. None!!!! It is pointless and simply a management exercise in touchy feely. The majority of people that I know hate it, really, really hate it. Granted, most people I know in a work environment are programmers and they aren't too fond of any social interaction. The worst thing about it all is that I have NO say whatsoever in it happening. It's suppose to be MY birthday yet, I sit here all day feeling slightly ill knowing that at any moment I am going to be surrounded by some people who never really speak to me, but are now going to sing to me...

So, it's my birthday today and I am sitting here writing this and waiting... Waiting and trying to take my mind of what's to come. I now believe strongly that it's not the getting older as to why most people hate their birthday it's waiting, like a man on death row, for the forced office 'celebration' to begin.
Time for my happy face... Tick, tick, tick....

No comments: