Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 94: A Writer's Retreat….

Dot .Net Dilemmas

Quite a lot has happened to me since my last blog entry. Some good (I finally passed my driving test – Better late than never), some not so good (both Bohemian FC and Sydney FC have forgotten how to win), and some that I just can’t talk about on a public forum. Overall I am pretty happy how things are starting to work out. As for Project Something, Something well, it hit a bit of a brick wall as I had so many other things going on that I simply couldn’t fit any more hours in to the day to get stuck in to it. But that hasn’t stopped me thinking about it almost every spare moment that I have. I have gone past a lot of the technical questions that I had and now the thing that seems to occupy my mind most is, finding a domain name that explains the product I will provide which hasn't already been registered. It now makes perfect sense why web based companies have names like Yola and Zoho that have no real relevance to the service they provide. Today I watched a DVD called 'Aardvark'd - 12 weeks with Geeks', a documentary about 4 interns working for Fog Creek Software and given 12 weeks to design, develop, debug and deploy the product that became Copilot. They loved the name Copilot but of course the domain name was taken and they ended up paying $10,000 to secure the name. No matter how good a name is, I would never even consider paying that type of money. My brother Philip is the creative one in the family so, I am going to give him the details of my idea and see what he come up with. No pressure mate....

Over the last few days I have really been lucky with ‘finding’ somewhere I will be able to churn out all the lines of code that I need to finally get a working demo that I can show people and (hopefully) get them interested.

My girlfriend and her parents are going overseas for a month and I was asked to housesit their amazing place and look after their two dogs while they are away. So, I am typing this, sitting by the pool in 29 degree Sydney heat while looking out over the most beautiful gardens. I really have struck gold and have no excuses for not locking myself away and with every spare moment hammer out some real solid code and show some progress for all the big noise that I have been making….

I guess for the next while, my blog is bound to get more technical, This is to be expected as I will be nose deep in code for the next 3 months. I have made a commitment to have a shippable product by November 12th and although even at this stage I am not sure if that is realistic, I am certainly going to try.

2 comments:

Pio said...

What the blazes are you talking about? Blogging and drinking doesn't work. I've got your name ..Project Todger

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!