Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 6: The Day I Met Martin Fowler.

Dot .Net Dilemmas

I was pretty good with my reading over the weekend and managed to get through the first 4 chapters of Applying Domain-Driven Design and Patterns
Over the next day or two I will update this blog with the notes that I have made from each chapter. I am not sure how much use these will be to others but as much as anything else I want this to be an area where I can look back and see when and why I made certain decisions along the way.

This is just a quick update but as a start-up, I feel that these are two sites and services that I will use over the coming months.

Useful Websites:
  • 99Designs.Com: “Need a logo or a new webpage template designed? 99designs connects business owners with a thriving community of designers, who will compete to create the perfect graphic for you.” You basically start a competition with a small financial reward, where you describe your business idea to a community of graphics designers. You then, hopefully, receive dozens of designs from numerous designers and you choose one to be the winner.
  • UserTesting.Com: Low Cost Usability Testing. You get a video of a user speaking their thoughts on your site as they use it. You also get a written report describing the problems that they found while following your test requirements. Imagine how much more confident you will be on the day you go live, knowing that your design ‘works’ and has past all the Usability tests you set.

Useful Podcast:
Two (of many) Podcast that I have been listening to:

Finally, I purchased a new book today which I believe could be the bible of Web Usability and a MUST for anyone who plans to have a public facing web site or web based product

No comments: